Friday, September 28, 2007

Sorry about the pause!

Wow! It's been a while since I blogged last! At this point, though, I do believe it's only me, and occasionally Michael, who actually read this. So, I'm not going to kick myself too hard.

We had a great spring/summer: a trip to Memphis where we got to visit with Mitch and Jawan McGinnis at General Assembly; 3 birthdays: Mason (8), Caroline (7), and Molly (5); a 10th wedding anniversary celebration (!) in Birmingham (it was the first time EVER that Michael and I have been alone for more than one night! We went to see 2 movies and ate out every meal, slept late, etc. Roger and Lynne Means happily kept all 4 kids. Friends like them are rare!!); a trip to Destin to stay at the Beach home of our friends here in Monroeville (and they joined us for the weekend - they have 5 children so we have 9 total! But sooo fun!)

So, now we have started school. Mason is in 2nd grade, Caroline in 1st, and Molly in K4. Ethan is home with me, which is fun, too. It seems that as fun as the summer is, the beginning of fall brings back "real life". The big kids are playing soccer now. Michael is coaching Mason and Caroline's team, so we spend Tuesday and Thursday evenings at the YMCA. It seems surreal that my children are old enough to do this.

I had a friend ask me recently, "How are you?". Now, I know that's not a very loaded question or anything, but it did get me thinking. I have spent the last year of my life virtually crisis-free. And you know what? It's been nice. The Father is so sweet to help us face hard things that grow and change us...help us to see our real need of Him. And then, to give us rest and respite. This season of rest has been so refreshing. And even though I guess I really DO enjoy the calm times more (who WANTS to suffer? I don't think I do...), God has been teaching me that seeking Him when there is no obvious storm is just as important.

Michael is doing a sermon series on Isaiah right now. Can I confess? Isaiah, to me, has always been a bit of a challenge. But the way Michael talks about it and preaches from it, I can see so much richness there and am really seeing more of my need of the gospel minute by minute...like I need to breathe. I'm really looking forward to the advent sermons he will preach from Isaiah.

Tonight I am hosting Supper Club. I started this last year as a way for young families in our church to get to know each other better through fellowship and fun. We're having breakfast for dinner and a game of cranium. I had to go buy the game...and now I just need to read the directions!!

Have you heard of the book: 1000 Books to Read Before you Die? Well, I have decided to read them. A couple weeks ago I finished Aesop's Fables. For some reason I had never read that book...but it's really good! Short (most only a paragraph) stories that you have heard all your life but probably didn't realize where they had come from.

Anyway...here is a picture of the children and my dad. He has been coming to visit us every couple months or so - we love it! And the kids really love their "Paw Paw".

Have a good weekend...and God bless!

Amy

No comments: