Thursday, January 08, 2009

Tales From the Potty

This one IS what you think it’s about, so if you’re grossed in the slightest by bathroom stories or references, I implore you to hit the page down button. This will serve as your disclaimer!!!!! No complaints!

It seems like with each child potty training has gotten more difficult. With Mason, I bought “How to Potty Train in a Day,” or whatever that book was called. I followed it’s instructions more or less, and Mason was trained in mere days.

Caroline was a little more difficult, but still basically easy.

Molly, though she was (and is) a bright little spot of sunshine, she just about pushed me over the edge and Michael had to finally barge in and rescue us both.

Now we have Ethan. Ethan, Ethan, Ethan.

Ethan will go #1 when I take him and make him. This involves setting the kitchen timer for every 30 minutes, which I do. Sigh.

As for the other thing - #2 – not one ounce of success. I have tried and tried and tried, but he just won’t cooperate. In fact, I have had him sit on the potty for 30 minutes or so, only to have him “make his deposit” the minute I put the big boy pants back on.

The other afternoon I just decided that he and I were going to hang out in the bathroom and have fun. We made up songs about the potty, we made up cheers about things one DOES in the potty. It was a party. The time just flew by. I wish I could say that it was effective, but I cannot. I think Ethan’s favorite was: “Push it out! Push it out! Waaaay out! Hey!” Which he, in turn, DID as soon as the Blue’s Clues big-boy pants were back in place.

Ethan even sang it for Michael when he got home from work. Michael wasn’t impressed.

Finally, I decided that the approach to take with Ethan was just to lay it all out there and have an honest heart to heart talk. It went a little something like this:

ME: Ethan, sweetie, there’s nothing to be afraid of. Everyone poops in the potty! Mason does, Caroline does, Molly does, Daddy does…

ETHAN: Pawpaw does?

ME: He sure does!

ETHAN: Aunt Lynne does?

ME: Yes, yes! You’ve got it!

ETHAN: Yeah! Woo-Hoo! Hey Mommy…I lost my udder quock (translation: other croc)

Any tips? If anyone is still here reading this, I’m desperate!

Bless ya!

1 comment:

BKicklighter said...

If you figure this out, run (don't walk) to the nearest phone or computer key board and HELP ME!! We have tried most of what you said - just not "push it out - waaay out." I have requested "Super Duper Pooper" from the library - we have watched it on youtube. Poopy pants are gross. I am tired of poopy pants.