Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Twilight Years

I turned 40 last month.

It was a wonderful day! Michael and the kids made me breakfast (apple/pear turnovers from scratch and raspberry milkshakes). I had lunch with some of my sweet friends, shopped at the thrift store and then later, at the Beehive, Michael and the kids threw me a surprise party. It was all the more sweet because my sweet husband and children were really "into" it. They made most of the food and came up with the plan. The gave me a new Blackberry, and I got lots of great presents. I felt so special, and I will remember that day until my mind goes...probably in a couple years.

Something happened though, a few days later, which put a bit of a damper on the bliss in my heart:

I received an application from the AARP.

Did some jokester out there fill out an interest card in my name? Is 40 the age the AARP starts taking new members? I would think at least 50 would be more appropriate!! Is it really time for me to be thinking of Medicare? Nursing home insurance? I thought 40 was the new 30?!

I became slightly forlorn and decided to look up AARP on the web. Guess what? It IS 50!! So, I have one more decade before I have to start thinking about that. Whew!

I'm guessing it was my brother. He's always doing stuff like that!

Bless ya!

2 comments:

BKicklighter said...

I got an application for AARP when I turned 30 - I didn't think it was that funny :)

Happy Belated!

Amy Mac said...

Maybe my brother sent one to you as well...