Thursday, June 05, 2008

Car Snacks and a God-Pleasing Perspective

We are leaving Sunday for Texas - General Assembly (Dallas) and visit to Michael's sister (Houston).

Time in the car - this much time, mind you - just about puts me over the edge. I don't mind car rides, but it will be 10 or so hours to Houston and at least 12 home from Dallas. I'm packing some good books (R is for Ricochet by Sue Grafton, Songs in Oridinary Time by Mary Morris, and Heaven by Randy Alcorn - I wanted to bring 1776 by McCullough, but I can't find it at the Library!!) for the ride, but I know the walls will eventually close in on me. I can't sleep in the car at all, so that's out. The kids will have dvds to watch and books to read, but they'll eventually want to wrestle and be loud (in essence: be kids).

Do you know what the saving grace will be on such a long road trip?

Gas station snacks.

Yes, I'll pack some nibbles for the ride, but let's face it: there's just something delicious about the sweet and salties perched on the shelves of small town Texaco. Overpriced treats one would never really think of consuming in day-t0-day life (at least not me, living on a budget and all) beckon to us from their dusty abodes next to the aisle of canned ham and spoons with state names on them. My favorite? Those Starbucks frappacino drinks in the refrigerator case. Of course, I can also do with a good trail mix - but I like the one that has peanut butter chips in it.

Do they still make coffee nips? If so, maybe I should just purchase a box of those and take them like medicine.

I remembered my lesson last November at the beach taking our Christmas picture. Whatever my attitude, so goes the family's. Talk about having great power...and not in a good way.

Would you do me a favor? Would you pray for me? I want to have a wonderful time - both in the car and in the heat at General Assembly. Please pray (as I prayed for myself this morning) that I would remember that God's strength is shown in my weakness and I need only to depend on him. I'm 100% sure there will be opportunities for sanctification in abundance.

Yes, even when the decibel levels are high, the road is bumpy, and my stomach is growling for Starbucks frappacino, God is good.

Bless ya!

1 comment:

SmockLady said...

Boo!
One more reason to note we were separted at birth - gas-station snacks. I love them. I look forward to them. Even with snacks in the car I must have some.

So glad to know my little travel obsession is not one I have alone.

Did someone say Roadtrip?

Oh, yeah, since the blogspot/google links won't link back to my blog I'll just link it for you here:
the SmockLady

See ya, sistah!