Friday, October 12, 2007

Lessons from the Library

Last Saturday, as I was ripping through Mason's room, I came across 2 shamefully late library books.

I believe these books were checked out sometime in July. Unfortunately, the discovery of these forgotten books came AFTER I had already sworn, on principle, never to check out another book from our local library again. Why, you ask? I'll tell you.

The last few times I have checked things out (which we do quite a bit in the summer), when I would go to the check out desk, they would tell me that the books I returned 2 weeks ago were still out and that I had fines to pay. Now, I'm not always on time with my returns, but I do TRY to be, and if I KNOW I have returned a book, I am going to say so. I will say that we live in a small town, with a smallish library. They do the best they can with what they have, and I'm just thankful we have one. Anyway, the last time I went in there to return books the lady at the desk told me I had 2 books still out...a "Hardy Boys" and a "Choose your own Adventure".

I vehemently denied being in possession of these two books. I demanded they be removed from my record and I vowed silently then and there to never cross the threshold of the library again.

So, when I found "Hardy Boys" and "Choose your own Adventure" at the bottom of the toy box, to say I was dismayed would be an understatement.

I sat the books on the kitchen counter and just watched them for a few days. I considered my options. My first thought was that I would try and sneak the books into the book return without anyone knowing and then just never go in there to pay the fine. Or, maybe I could just go by and place the books outside the door once they had closed (we don't have an after-hours depository). I even considered just keeping the books and never saying a word about it...but if you think that could be done, you haven't met my husband. No...I was going to have to face this one head on.

It was errand day. I had my pile of stuff to drop off and do, and on top of the pile were those two library books. Laughing at me. Michael came home for lunch and I sweetly asked him if he would consider returning the books for me, but he told me no..."I think God wants YOU to do this".

SO, after praying up...with checkbook in hand and Ethan on hip, I made my way into the library ready to pay my $.25/day late fee per book (nope, that's not a typo...I figured by now my late fees for these two books would be somewhere around $15-$25. I placed the books gingerly upon the counter and made my confession. I was prepared for them to tell me I had 8 more books missing. I was prepared for them to tell me I owed $100. I was prepared for them to bar me from the library for life. I think I was prepared for almost anything, except for what actually happened...

"Ma'am, there are no outstanding books on your card...we really appreciate your bringing these books back to us...there's no fine..."

Now, isn't God funny? And trust me...I know this story is no big deal in the whole grand scheme of life, but I laugh when God surprises me. In a way, He's sort of like the library, but different. He doesn't forget about my debt on accident, there's no computer glitch or erasure because I make a fuss...he purposefully pays what I owe. And when I think about that sacrifice...His love...His grace towards me...THAT makes me want to be a better patron. That makes me want to obey him. And like God forgives my debt, so did the sweet librarian, and that makes me want to be a better book borrower.

So, maybe I jumped the gun. Maybe my library, as small as it is, isn't so bad. So they have computer issues and don't always check my books back in when I return them! Maybe I WILL go back in there after all.

And just so you know...I wrote them a check for my late fee anyway. I figure they can put it into the "new computer system" fund...

Bless ya,
Amy

No comments: