Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Scene It?


This past Friday night Michael came home with a brand new board game for us to play. It’s called “Scene It Disney”. Basically, it’s like trivial pursuit but with a cd option and all Disney questions. The kids were so excited, I popped corn, and our evening of family fun began.

We quickly discovered that, even though we are self-proclaimed Disney aficionados, the questions are not always easy. Also, even though I do have tons of Disney movies, the sheer number of titles in existence is astounding. Some of the movies I had never even heard of.

Our air of “family fun” went downhill rather quickly. People started whining, accusing, not returning the card to the bottom of the pile. Then the kids even started in. It was utter chaos. Now, I am competitive. I don’t care if you’re 5…I will hunt you down. I will dominate. So, when mom got close to winning, I decided it was time to put on my big girl panties and give the kids an opportunity to step it up. Finally, all were within range of winning the game. Then something happened.

Molly is my time bomb. She will go, and go, and go, and go, until…she blows. I think the stress of wanting to win coupled with the hard fact that she just wasn’t the best at the game, began to catch up with her. She cried. She cried and cried. She cried so much that she couldn’t even watch the screen anymore. She finally just ended up in her room, facedown on the bed yelling, “I wanted to win!”.

That’s my girl.

It seems like my sweet children have all inherited my sin patterns. Honestly, I want to win. I want to be the best. God has recently been dealing with me in the area of pride…again. Can I tell you this? I REALLY want to be a humble person! I really want to put others before myself and consider them more than I consider myself. Somewhere inside me I want those things. But I’m prideful (and don’t worry…you are too – wink, wink). The truly humble people I know are the people that I love to be around. Tracy Whitner, Michelle Lawrence, Weezie Green. You women give me hope.

After Molly’s crying jag, I went into her room, read a book, rubbed her back, told her how much I love her, and how proud I was of her for trying a game she was really too little to play anyway. Later, I thought about how much I fail at so many things, but Jesus makes it better. I put myself out there (just like Molly did) to play and end up fouling it up with my words, or my attitude, or my crying “I want to win!”. Then when I’m done wallowing in the mess, I (hopefully) remember that Jesus loves me. He delights in me. He rejoices over me. And I am helped.

This morning, Molly asked, “Mommy, what did you do with that game we played last night?” I jokingly replied, “I threw it away.”

“Good!” she said.

No comments: