Sunday, April 20, 2008

Blip...

Yesterday was one of those days where I just felt like I was moving from thing to thing. We had a birthday party to go to, a baseball game and pictures, visits from friends, errands, tasks...the same things you do on your Saturday. But something funny happened, which I thought illustrated the day (and maybe life, too?) quite well. I wanted to share it with you.

I walked back to our bathroom and noticed the tissue needed replacing. So, I made my way to the hallway to access the linen closet (where such is kept), passed Caroline's bedroom on the way, and noticed something. There was a pile of clothing lying on the bed that I had JUST hung up. I walked in, looked at the mess, mentally prepared my homily and called Caroline in.

"Caroline...mommy has enough tasks to do without having to repeat any. I'm good, thanks. Please don't get piles of things out of your closet and throw them on your bed! Now, practice your hanging skills!"

Then, Mason ran into the room...

"Mom! Ethan has spilled his milk all over the kitchen floor!" This surprised me, since I hadn't mopped that day. So, I walk to the kitchen to find said spill waiting for me. Several Bounty later, we're good to go.

Then, Molly comes to me...

"Mom, will you please change my earrings?". Sure. We walk to her bedroom to pick out a new set of bobs. She takes off the back and...drops it into the thick, blue carpet. "It's ok," I comfort her, "we'll find it!"

On hands and knees we search - rubbing over the carpet until finally a little silver object pops into view. Earrings changed, I venture once again into the kitchen to remove the chicken I've been defrosting in the microwave.

After cutting up the chicken and dousing it with marinade, I walk back to my bathroom...

And noticed the tissue needed replacing.

Sometimes I feel I get too caught up in my own agenda (mopping that floor, folding that laundry, writing that blog...!!) that I miss the life going on around me. I am asking the Father to remind me that experiences like this aren't blips on the screen on my life...they ARE life.

And it sure is abundant!

Bless ya!

1 comment:

BKicklighter said...

I love your sense of humor.

This is such a tough lesson to LEARN. When my perspective is off, my life seems like one big blip.