Saturday, April 12, 2008

Revelations from the "Intimates"

Earler today I was browsing around the vanity fair outlet in our town - 20% off coupon in hand. The 20% off weekends are always a big deal, from what I understand. I think practically anyone can get their hands on the coupon, but if you have one, you go.

Anyway, like I said, I'm shopping around with Molly in tow, looking for some...uh.."fine washables". I'm plugging away through the racks and racks of bras - pretty intense and knowing my time is limited- when I look up and see him...the newest elder in our church! With him is his wife and lovely daughter. It's just a little fellowship time right there in the delicates.

I wanted to die! My arms are laden with brassieres of every color. There's no hiding it! I can feel the flesh tone draining from my face and being replaced with a glorious shade of pomegranate. I try to deflect focus - but the damage has been done. I laugh it off as best I can and sidle on eastward to a large disply of little girls' dresses....maybe like I was there all along and he was just confused.

I know God wants to teach me something here. perhaps it's something about sin and how we try to defend ourselves, or deflect attention from our sin when we are caught. Maybe it's a lesson about materialism, and how it can subtlely sneak up on us. Maybe it's a lesson on remembering that I am complete in Christ - no matter how others see me.

Yes, all of these true and good. But you know what? I wonder if in the end God just wants me to remember that 20% weekend - Saturday afternoon after lunch - is maybe not the best time to do my bra shopping. Wouldn't, say, Monday morning around 9:30 or so be better?

Bless ya!

No comments: