Friday, April 11, 2008

Shout to the Lord

I know it's old news by now, but what I witnessed on American Idol last night was incredible. People just don't surprise me anymore, but they did last night.

When I heard "My Jesus, My Savior, Lord there is none like you..." my jaw dropped, along with about a million other Christian's jaws. It took me a minute, but after the shock wore off I realized what was happening...

The night before (Tuesday) was the "Idol Gives Back" show. Now, I DID DVR the show, but only watched it in spots. Michael told me that the idols sang "Shout" that night (I think he heard about it on Rick and Bubba - our source for news), but I did not see it myself. But as I watched all of the short films with wealthy celebrities crying and being touched (which isn't a bad thing - don't get me wrong...)I was thinking to myself that, yes, these people need food, clean water, medicine, and money to have all of that...but on top of it all, and most importantly, they need hope - the hope that only Jesus can give. All the food and clean water in the world won't satisfy the real needs we all have. What was missing from the show was the source of healing and hope.

Again, let me stress that I think what American Idol does is AWESOME! TV programs don't care about people! But this is why I watch American Idol - it is laying new track and forging ahead being different enough in many ways to make people scratch their heads. It doesn't make fun of anyone (even Simon who, though brutal, is really trying to be helpful...and he usually is right), doesn't put people in positions to make themselves look stupid, thus giving us entertainment value at the expense of dignity and self-respect. It's just a singing competition. Until last night...

Last night, in my opinion, God used AI as a platform. Now, I don't know who of those idols are Christians and who aren't - and it doesn't really matter. What matters, to me, is that last night God was proclaimed and magnified. Last night, "whether in pretense or in truth, Christ was proclaimed, and in that I rejoice." (Philippians 1:18)

If you missed it, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6G0U8Vg6nY

Bless ya!

2 comments:

BKicklighter said...

I don' tknow what I think about that.

MMac said...

I thought it was very way cool that Jesus was proclaimed, regardless of what the people singing think of Him. After all, this is what happens in just about every church in the world where there are present both the wheat and the tares.